Friday, November 23, 2007

#16 So what's in a wiki

Wiki wiki, Hawaiian for quick. I was familiar with Wikipedia before I looked at this task but hadn't really thought about what wikis could be used for in libraries. In terms of community content and input wikis are ideal. Examples that I read about were developing subject guides, annotating the catalogue, community information type wikis, booklovers' wikis, local history wikis.

I was particularly interested in the library that converted their reference desk manual into a wiki - that was something that it would be good to emulate! I can see potential use for wikis in working on joint projects, developing joint documents and I think particularly in local and family history where the world can comment on a particular topic or artefact. It's another version of oral history in some ways and such an exciting way to get information from anywhere. Anything is possible. I note a few places to start such as www.pbwiki.com, www.wetpaint.com, and www.wikispace.com but I haven't tried them yet. And, of course, there is always that great social networking encyclopaedia!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin