Saturday, January 19, 2008

#42: Google Groups/Usenet

Like RA Meyer who was composing task 42, I was pretty amazed to discover that newsgroups were still around as these electronic bulletin boards seemed a thing of the past. But they are obviously still there, if not quite getting the same use as they did before Google took off. I clicked on the Society.libraries.talk site and had a look at the usage, i.e. it was great in the early days of the internet but has decreased greatly in recent years. Surprising? I don't think so.

I then did a search in Google Groups for breast cancer and came up with 6,690,000 groups!! I hunted through a couple of the lists for their postings and wondered where a newly diagnosed person would start? Well, probably they wouldn't start with Google Groups but with Google, and the question of what he or she might find there is another one.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin