Saturday, January 19, 2008

#40: Retroland - reminisce about the good old days

When I am not being a librarian or a manager, I'm an historian. In fact, I started the day today surfing around the online MMBW maps at the State Library of Victoria for some guy in the UK who is trying to trace some information about a family member who was in Collingwood in the 1860s-1870s.

I love the past, but I don't find that that makes me a fan of Retroland. It's a site where you can reconnect with things you liked in the past and, as it also has a social networking role, you can connect with people who are interested in reminiscing about the same things that you are. I found a lot of the stuff, such as food and music, very U.S. based and didn't connect with it a lot. However, it is good to know that this site exists in case I want to find out some information about clothing, food etc from a particular era. So I can see that application for local and family history. It just needs to be taken with a grain of salt and a bit of awareness that things might not have been quite the same in Boroondara.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin