Monday, September 22, 2008

#62 PDF Form-Topia: PDFEscape.com



After my challenges with PDF conversion last week, I was keen to look at some other options. So this was stimulus enough to get me back to Learning 2.1. I have been very slack and stuck at #61 for a couple of months. Of course, the US crowd have been on summer vacation so why shouldn't I take a winter one as well?

PDFEscape.com is a free online PDF reader, editor, form-filler and designer we are told. You can open PDF documents from a URL or open a saved PDF. I opened the PDFEscape.com url and decided not to register, though it said it was free, contrary to what I had thought. I immediately browsed my PC and selected a PDF version of the enduring power of attorney document that caused me grief on Friday. It loaded pretty quickly and then once I had worked out how to write and install the text it was all pretty easy. I then saved it as a PDF to my PC. I didn't get a message warning me that there would be a logo or anything and there wasn't. I opened the PDF to print and again no logo or anything. Have they changed it since #62 was posted?

Anyway, I found it a very useful tool and could imagine that I could use it with PDF forms. Conversion tools like Zamzar convert into another format and always lose something along the way. They have their place, of course. But this tool does what it says: it allows you to fill in and save a PDF in its own format.

1 comment:

KK said...

I can understand your frustration with an area of software which has few good, free tools. We're certainly working hard to change that (and given that 3 of the other 4 pieces of software you've pitted PDFescape against are closer to evaluation versions than truly free software), we believe PDFescape is at the forefront of that.
PDF Editor

Blog Widget by LinkWithin